Return to school information
Our Ref: DRA/at/308
8 September 2020
As we prepare to welcome your child back to Harton, there are several important things I wish to share, so ask you to take a few moments to read this letter. Thank you.
- In order to keep Harton staff and students safe, if you suspect your child has any of the following symptoms of COVID-19, please do not send them to school, but arrange for them to have a test. The main symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are a high temperature, a new, continuous cough and a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital if you or your child have any of these symptoms. Please get a test to check if you have coronavirus and stay at home until you get your result.
- Packed lunches. Please do not send your child to school with any nut product in their packed lunch. All school-produced food is nut-free to ensure our students with allergies are kept safe, and we ask that you help us with this vital matter.
- If your child has any allergies and is expected to carry an auto-injector (such as an EpiPen), or similar device, please do check that they are bringing this item to school. We will have been informed by you about this, but feel free to contact us to double-check we are aware. The school is unable to provide auto-injectors, so please do be aware of this.
- 6th Form students are permitted off-site at lunchtimes and during their study periods, where feasible, but we ask the following of them:
a. That they observe social distancing and wear a face mask in shops.
b. That they do not bring take-away food back into school.
- Parents/Carers accessing the school site: Harton is a large school with over 1600 students and 200 staff. Therefore, we cannot permit any additional access to the school without prior arrangement. If you need to speak to a member of staff, please do not turn up without first telephoning and making an appointment. We understand that you may have an urgent matter to discuss, and our reception staff will be happy to take some details (you will not need to reveal anything confidential) and arrange an appointment for you.
- In the same way, if your child has forgotten their PE kit or any other item, please do not bring it to school for them. Reception staff will not be able to accept any items from you, as we wish to reduce the risk of cross-contamination. Please support us in encouraging your child to be organised, reminding them to pack their bag the night before. This is especially important as they will be using a file for every lesson. This file will need to be emptied at home regularly, ensuring it has the correct work sheets in for the next set of lessons.
I appreciate that this is a detailed communication, and we do appreciate your support in ensuring that Harton does all we can to reduce the risk of this pandemic spreading. Thank you.
Head of School