Key Stage 4
Level 2 Award in Business Enterprise
An aspiration for many young people is to be self-employed and start their own business. The skills required for this, such as being able to work collaboratively and creatively, solve problems and have awareness of businesses and customers, are also those requested by employers. This qualification is a vocationally driven equivalent to a traditional GCSE in Business but is equally valued by employers and further education providers due to its relevance to the ‘real world’.
When studying the Level 2 Award in Business Enterprise, students will not only develop skills, knowledge and understanding relevant to the world of business; they will also have the opportunity to apply their learning in a practical and realistic way. Each unit is designed to develop independent learning, decision making and enterprising skills which are highly valued and sought after by employers and further education providers.
The two centre-assessed units offer practical task-based assessment opportunities, alongside the examined unit which contains underpinning knowledge and understanding, resulting in a focused qualification that complements a Key Stage 4 study programme alongside other vocational qualifications and GCSEs.
Successful completion of the course will enable students to progress onto Level 3 study, an apprenticeship or the world of work.
Edexcel GCSE Business Studies
Business Studies encourages students to be inspired and challenged by a wide range of successful businesses and entrepreneurs. This course offers students a unique opportunity to discover the key principles behind starting up and running a business. In addition students will explore the ever changing external environments businesses are operating in.
GCSE Business Studies will enable students to:
- Investigate and analyse real business opportunities and issues to develop depth and breadth of understanding of business.
- Develop as effective and independent students, and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
- Apply knowledge and understanding to contemporary business issues and to different types and sizes of businesses in local, national and global contexts.
- Develop as enterprising individuals with the ability to think commercially and creatively to demonstrate business acumen, and draw on evidence to make informed business decisions and solve business problems.
Students will study two themes which will be externally examined at the end of two years:
- Theme 1: Introduction to small business
- Theme 2: Building a business
Students who successfully complete this course can progress to study A- Level Business Studies and/or A-Level Economics and then higher education. Alternatively this course will provide students with a range of essential work based transferable skills highly valued by employers.
Last updated: 16-05-18