AQA AS Level Computer Science
This is designed to allow students to demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental principles of the subject whilst developing problem solving abilities in a computing context, using an algorithmic approach. Students will gain opportunities to demonstrate knowledge of programming, through a problem solving scenario and to develop an understanding of the hardware and software of a computer.
What will I study?
- Fundamentals of programming
- Fundamentals of data structures
- Fundamentals of algorithms
- Theory of computation
- Fundamentals of data representation
- Fundamentals of computer systems
- Fundamentals of computer organisation and architecture
- Consequences of uses of computing
- Fundamentals of communication and networking
- Fundamentals of databases
- Big Data
- Fundamentals of functional programming
- Systematic approach to problem solving
- Non-exam assessment – the computing practical project
How will I be assessed?
The course includes practical and written assessments. A range of assessment methods will be used throughout the course by your teacher to provide you with constant feedback and support.
This paper tests a student’s ability to program, as well as their theoretical knowledge of computer science from subject content points 10 – 13 from the above list.
On-screen exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
40% of A-level
This paper tests a student’s ability to answer questions from subject content points 14 – 21 from above list.
Written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes
40% of A-level
The non-exam assessment assesses student’s ability to use the knowledge and skills gained through the course to solve or investigate a practical problem. Students will be expected to follow a systematic approach to problem solving.
20% of A-level
Where does the course lead?
A student who studies computing can go onto a career in medicine, business, Law, politics or any type of Science. The emphasis on this course is placed on computational thinking; this is the type of reasoning used by both humans and machines.
For examination board link, click here.