Studying Spanish brings you into close contact with the country’s rich historic, literary and artistic traditions. Improve your command of the language, written and spoken, and study contemporary sources and media.
AS / A Level Spanish is a one / two year course, which develops further the listening, reading, writing and speaking skills of students. The approach is to teach by themes with listening and reading skills being developed at the same time as writing and speaking.
What will I Study?
In Year 1 you will cover:
- Media: TV, advertising and communication technology
- Popular Culture: cinema, music and fashion/trends
- Healthy living/lifestyle: sport/exercise, health and well-being and holidays
- Family/relationships: relationships within the family and marriage/partnerships
In Year 2 you will cover:
- Environment: pollution, energy and protecting the planet
- The multi-cultural society: immigration, integration and racism
- Contemporary social issues: wealth and poverty, law and order and the impact of scientific and technological progress
Cultural topic: the study of a target language speaking region/community or the study of a period of 20th century history from a target language-speaking country.
All the work done arises from authentic texts and the lessons are conducted as far as possible in the target language. Students are also encouraged to undertake a work experience placement or visit Spain.
How will I be assessed?
This is designed to match a unit based approach to assessment, whereby following initial registration candidates may take and accumulate units. Students are able to sit modules at the end of year 12 and year 13. Students will sit examinations for the first two Modules at the end of Year 12 and the remainder at the end of the course.
Where does the course lead?
In an international jobs market a modern foreign language can give you a competitive edge.
It also combines well with many other course and allows you to access combined degrees such as International Business.
Subject Specific Requirements
Minimum level 6/7 in GCSE Spanish